Sunday, August 16, 2015

Crown Of Thorns



“And the soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on His head….” John 19:2 (ESV)

Nothing like what I am about to share has ever humbled me as this did!

As many people who know my wife and I, know that we have been taking a journey through the Bible, verse by verse, chapter by chapter and we are now entering our fourth year and our third time around this precious Book.

We paused at the above verse and discussed at length the crown of thorns placed on the head of Christ and how painful it must have been. We could not imagine the agony He felt as the thorns on this makeshift crown were jammed into His head. 

Then I recalled how much He suffered for us, that we might be saved. In fact in the book of Isaiah it gives us a look at the torture and pain our Lord suffered. “As many were astonished at you - His appearance was so marred, beyond human semblance, and His form beyond that of the children of mankind.” Isaiah 52:14 (ESV)

And this all started with the “crown of thorns”

We concluded our study still trying to imagine the pain, agony and humiliation Christ went through for us. 

After prayer, I went outside and as I was out there I saw some dry grass in the shape of a crown and the blades had the semblance of thorns. At first, I thought nothing of it and I was going to pick it up and throw it in the trash. But then the strangest feeling came over me, the hair on my arms stood on edge and chills raced through my body.

We had just concluded our study and here in front of me was this symbol of what we had just finished reading. All I could do was to stare at this image in amazement. Then I picked it up, took it inside and showed it to my wife. Her reaction was, “Wow, what a coincidence!”

At this point, my inclination was still to throw it away but as I was walking to the door, I saw the cross a neighbor had given us. I stopped and told my wife, “I think I will place this piece over this empty cross.” She asked, “Why?”  I said, “Every time I look at this I will be reminded of the Crown of Thorns placed on my Savior’s head and how He defeated the cross and the thorns and now it is empty for He conquered it all!"

I have shared this with my co-workers and each time I did, once again, the hair on my arms stood on edge and chills raced through my body.

I do not believe for one moment that this was some kind of divine message from God but it was just remarkable, the symbolism and how humbling this experience was. 

Today, I stand in awe over what my Lord did for me on Calvary and I know He lives because that empty cross and that crown of thorns stand alone!

If you have not experienced the saving grace of God, I ask that you do so now!

To God belongs the glory forever!

In Christ,
Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment